Floating ring seal referred to as floating ring seal, used for centrifugal compressor, hydrogen-cooled turbine generator, centrifugal pump and other shaft seals. The options for sealing in medium and high-pressure centrifuge compressors are: mechanical seals, maze seals and filler seals.
However, because the cooling and lubrication conditions of the gas are not as liquid, so the filler seal is only small, low speed to use, and mechanical sealing in the speed of more than 40m/ s temperature is greater than 200 degrees C is also difficult to adapt, only maze sealing and floating ring sealing is the most commonly used two ways.
Floating ring seals have the following advantages: 1) The sealing structure is simple, only a few simple shape srings, pins, springs and other parts.
Multi-layer floating rings are also only a combination of these simple parts, which are less than mechanically sealed parts.
2) Is not sensitive to the operating state of the machine and has stable sealing performance.
3) The seal does not produce wear, the seal is reliable, the maintenance is simple and the service is convenient.
4) Because the seal material is metal, solid resistance to high temperature.
5) Floating rings can be used side-by-side, forming a multi-layer floating ring, effectively sealing 10MPa above high pressure.
6) Can be used for 10000 to 20000r/min high-speed rotating fluid machinery, especially used in gas compressors, its allowable speed of up to 100m/s, which is unmatched by other seals.
7) As long as the use of corrosion-resistant metal materials or lining corrosion-resistant non-metallic materials (e.g. graphite) as floating rings, can be used for the seal of strong corrosion media.
8) Because the sealing gap is a liquid film, so friction power is very small, in, so that the machine has a higher efficiency. The disadvantages of floating ring sealing: the manufacturing accuracy of the seal is high, the different center of the ring and the non-verticality of the surface and the surface is not rough e.g. have a significant impact on the sealing performance. In addition, this seal does not seal the liquid tightly. Gases can be tight, but require a complex and expensive automated oil supply system.